Tonight I was able to sit down with a group of friends and hammer out almost 20 hours of playtesting to further refine cards abilities, and see how different cards interact with each other in more detail. They had a lot of good suggestions as well as some great ideas for clarity to help the game be easier to play.
So on my list of things to do is the following:
- Color code the building pieces so that it is much easier to tell the difference between a Pirate building piece and a Ninja piece
- Rework some of the abilities to make them more entertaining to use. The response I had from friends was abilities like the Black Spot and Long Tom were fun and more cards should function like that
- Tweak some abilities and weapons to make them more desirable to use. Examples of these were the Musket which no one ever wanted to play
- Rework Evasive and Seductive. These cards were based off some old rules and were nearly worthless in the current format
- Add in another Ninja character to bring the character count to even numbers.
- Adjust the Deployment cost on all the building pieces so that the deployment costs varies much more throughout the draw deck
- Rename some cards to make their titles more entertaining
- Rework abilities so that the use of Building Pieces has a greater purpose and interact more often with characters
- Adjust the requirements for winning to make both methods of victory more plausible
- Rewrite the rulebook so the instructions follow a more fluid pattern and are easier to read
- Much more!
Thanks for everyone's support who have e-mailed me about the game and taken the time to try it out! I am working on these updates and plan to devote a lot more time to it within the next week once the semester ends.